source: “2003 Global Soft Drinks Report”,
Global consumption of soft drinks is rising by 5% a year, well ahead of all other beverage categories…
Global consumption of soft drinks
|year ||billion litres|| litres per person|
|2003 ||467 ||75|
As a combined category, soft drinks are on track to become the number one beverage sector in 2005…
The United States is the world’s biggest soft drinks market...
- carbonates (CSD)* are the largest soft drinks segment, with a 2002 share of 42%;
- bottled water is catching up fast at 32%;
- still drinks form the third segment on 11%, followed by fruit juice/nectars on 8% and dilutables on 7%;
- bottled water is the fastest growing soft drink, up by 9% in 2002.
- USA: 24% of the global share in 2002;
- 3 countries - the United States, Mexico and China - are leaders in the two most important segments, CSD* and bottled water;
- the top five fastest growing countries over the past five years to 2002 were exclusively from the emerging regions of Asia, East Europe and the Middle East.
* CSD: carbonated soft drinks