TIME TO CHANGE
source: OECD Environmental
Data Compendium 2004,
Waste or rubbish is what people throw away because they no longer need it or want it.
This explains why it is only in recent years that waste has emerged as a problem…
Consumers should make a link between buying and waste: everything we buy will end up as waste. So…
- prior to the industrial revolution we did not use products as we do today and consequently used less 'stuff' and produced less waste;
- worldwide studies have shown that waste creation is closely linked with GDP (Gross Domestic Product). Almost everything we do creates waste and as a society we are currently producing more waste than ever before;
- it has been estimated that for every tonne of household waste, another 5 tonnes is created at the manufacturing stage and 20 tonnes at the site of initial extraction.
- …buy less and demand less packaging;
- …buy products that can be re-used and recycled…