UNEP UNESCO
home / facts & figures / environment / waste / production / rubber & tires / vehicles

youthXchange go
RESPECTING OUR BODIES PACKAGING YOURSELF AWAKENING YOUR SOUL LOOKING FOR A PLACE CARRYING THE TORCH CLEAN UP YOUR FUN SOCIAL BELOGING PAY THE RIGHT PRICE LOOKING AHEAD
back to index

GENERAL DATA
ENVIRONMENT
nature conservation
 > areas at risk
 > endangered species
 > protected areas

air
 > air quality
 > global issues

energy
 > demand/supply
 > energy saving
 > renewables

waste
 > production
 > recycling

water
 > water resources
 > drinking water

climate change
 > impact on population
 > weather

animal welfare
 > animal testing
 > unfair practices

BASIC NEEDS
OTHER NEEDS

English site French site Korea site
facts & figures
WASTE
how much is thrown away? | time to change | in your bin | food | paper & cardboard | recycling paper | glass | metals | plastic | textiles | rubber & tires | vehicles | e-waste


THROWN AWAY/VEHICLES


source: europa.eu.int/comm/
environment/waste/elv_index.htm


www.clearwater-fl.com/gov/depts/solid
_waste/docs_pub/facts.asp


www.environment-agency.gov.uk/yourenv/eff/
resources_waste/213982/203620/
?lang=_e


www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.
cfm/newsid/26006/newsDate/14-Jul-
2004/story.htm


print this page share with a friend send us your feedback
spacer

Recycling just one car saves 2,500 pounds of iron ore, 1,400 pounds of coal and 120 pounds of limestone...*
  • There were 26 cars recycled every minute across the US in 2001;


  • every year, end of life vehicles generate between 8 and 9 million tonnes of waste in the European Union. At the moment, 75% of end-of-life vehicles are recycled (metal content);


  • around 2 million road vehicles are scrapped in the UK every year, 60% of which go to vehicle dismantlers and 30% go directly to scrap yards. In 1999, 70% of the UKís 45 million scrapped tires were recycled or were burnt in energy recovery schemes. The remaining 30% were land filled, stored or illegally dumped;


  • a recent European Commission Directive aims at increasing the rate of re-use and recovery to 85% by average weight per vehicle and year by 2006, and to 95% by 2015; increasing the rate of re-use and recycling over the same period to at least 80% and 85% respectively by average weight per vehicle and year.


  • In Japan, virtually all of the estimated 550,000 to 700,000 tonnes of automobile shredder residue (ASR) produced annually end up in landfills, with each passenger car responsible for an average 190 kg, according to industry estimates.


  • Japanese Government has recently endorsed a law as part of the government's solution to meet the rising cost of disposing of car-related scrap as landfill sites become scarce. Japan is also aiming to raise the recycling rate for cars to 95% by 2015, from around 80% now. Moreover, from January 2005, car owners have been asked to pay about 7,000 to 18,000 yen (US$ 65 to US$ 166) per disposed vehicle to cover the recycling of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) - a harmful gas used in air conditioners - airbags and automobile shredder residue (ASR).

* One pound being equivalent to about 0.45 kilograms.

  related issues

facts & figures > eco-footprint | global warming | e-waste | drinks containers (1) | drinks containers (2) | waste | environmental impact

department store > state of the world 2004 | carbon calculator | ecolabel catalogue | eco-bins | kitchen compost bin | batteries take-back | e-waste | compostable t-shirt | freitag bags | relan bags | eco-sandals from kenya | wear your soda | greenkarat | interface carpets | green office paper | vegetable plastic walkman

career compass > reciclar t3 | scrap | recyclart | fiber futures | enayetullah-sinha

pay the right price > collect a can | eco-tickets program | plastic free goa | let's exchange! | buy nothing day

clean up your fun > less waste tips | green parties

packaging yourself > waste to taste | rethinking luxury | committed sportswear | made in favela | 2nd chance to clothes

carrying the torch > environmentís caretakers | consumers school

back to the top
[ home | UNEP/UNESCO contact | partners | YXC Team ]