Lighting accounts for about 15% of a typical utility bill. The first golden rule is: ‘don't leave lights on when no one is in the room!’ But there are other ways to save lighting energy by…
- buying an energy efficient light bulb rather than the other alternatives, you can cut energy wastage by over three quarters. Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) last 10 times longer and use 75% less energy than regular bulbs;
- according to the Worldwatch Institute, if every US household replaced its most often-used incandescent light bulbs with CFLs, electricity use for lighting could be cut in half;
- installing dimmer switches to save energy and extend the life of the bulbs;
- installinglow-voltage lighting for outside illumination;
- for outdoor security lights, installing high-sodium flood lights with motion detectors so they only come on when needed.