| ||organisation: various companies|
type of biz: home waste devices
products: with kitchen compost bins it is possible to put kitchen scraps conveniently out of sight. As they drastically reduce odours, these easy-to-clean compost bins can be used to store and transport compost to your garden.
Kitchen compost containers filled with scraps of stale bread and vegetable parings do not have to detract from your kitchen decor. A hand-painted bowl covered with a perforated lid, a colander, or a cloth shields the contents from view and protects it from insects and still allows air to circulate, preventing mould and odours. Another option might be a china soup tureen. The ladle opening will conveniently let in air.
options: there are many models of kitchen compost bins, from a simple plastic version to a more elegant crockery one. The common characteristic of these objects resides in the possibility to keep them inside one’s kitchen because of special anti-odour technology and a design suitable for your room. Let’ look at some of the products available on the market:
sustainability features: composting is simply the control of the natural decomposition of organic material such as leaves, grass clippings, pruning, fruit and vegetable scraps. This decomposition happens with the help of oxygen-using micro-organisms that transform these materials into compost, a nutrient-rich soil enhancer. Composting has many benefits: first of all it diverts valuable organic materials from the landfill or incinerator (in the USA, for instance, food waste makes up more than 25% of the average household's garbage!); conserves water by helping the soil hold more moisture, and improves soil health and fertility. There is also an economic benefit because this process reduces the need to purchase expensive fertilisers and soil additives.
- The Regular Compost Bucket is 8"H x 9"W x 9"D (+/- 20 x 23 x 23 cm) and the Tall Compost Bucket is 11.25"H x 9"W x 9"D (+/- 28.5 x 23 x 23 cm). Its trim design fits handily under the sink or at the back of the counter. Carbon activated filters effectively prevent odours for up to six months. Made of durable plastic, its lid snaps snugly to eliminate spills. Made in Canada. [www.realgoods.com/shop/shop2.cfm?dv=2&dp=203&ts=2090069&kw=compost%20bin]
- Compost Crock: collecting kitchen scraps for composting shouldn't detract from your kitchen decor. This sleek ceramic crock is attractive enough to keep on the kitchen counter, so there is no need to hide it under the sink. Glazed inside and out, the crock will never stain or absorb food odours, and it has an activated carbon filter to trap odours. Made in the USA. [www.realgoods.com/shop/shop2.cfm/dp/203/ts/1051252]
- Bokashi Recycling Systems: now it's easy to discard meat, fish, dairy and even bones right in your kitchen without the requirement of turning it (like outdoor compost) and without creating unpleasant smells. The All Food Recycling Compost Kit quickly transforms your organic waste into a high-grade soil conditioner through the use of effective microbes or ‘bokashi’ - a Japanese word meaning ‘fermented organic matter’. Similar to the process used to make wine, this system relies on fermentation rather than putrefaction to decompose the matter, so no putrid odour is produced. In about 10 days, nutrient-rich matter is produced that you can shovel into the garden to help improve physical, chemical and biological characteristics of the dirt. Sprinkle a handful or more of bokashi onto the waste every time you add to the bucket. 1 gallon (about 3.8 litres) bag of bokashi included. Made in Japan. [www.realgoods.com/shop/shop2.cfm/dp/203/ts/2090206]
- Stainless Steel Compost Pail, 33-720: this compost pail has the gleaming, contemporary look of a wine connoisseur's ice bucket, and its mirror-bright shine will never stain, turn dull or absorb odours. It's a great fit with chrome or stainless steel decors. [www.gardeners-warehouse.com/product-33-720.html]
- Eco-Cycle Base Tumbler: compact, durable and user friendly. Available in 2 colours (green or black). It sits on a base equipped with rollers and spins in place with a gentle push. A couple of spins a week and your compost will remain well mixed and aerated. The base even collects the liquid fertiliser, or compost tea, that drips from the drum, holding up to 5 gallons (about 19 litres) of this nutritious by-product. Made of recycled plastic, it comes with instructions. Dimensions are 21" L x 21" W x 30" H (about 53 x 53 x 76 cm) and it weighs 23 lbs (10.4 Kg). Oversized package - ships at 60 lbs (27 Kg). Made in the USA. [www.gardeners-warehouse.com/product-33-720.html]