youthxchange

address: http://www.youthxchange.net/main/b207_how-much-g.asp
title: THROWN AWAY/GLASS


Glass containers are widely used to package a huge array of foods and drinks...
  • In the US, about 13 million tons of glass waste is generated annually. Food & beverage containers make up over 90% of this amount; the remaining 10% comes from products like cookware and glassware, home furnishings, and plate glass. In 2001, Americans recovered and recycled about 22% of glass in the municipal solid waste stream.


  • In the UK, 6 billion glass containers are used every year, equating to over 2 million tonnes. In 1998, only 22% of these containers were recycled - the European average is 50%, with some countries recycling over 80%.
Glass is 100% recyclable and can be recycled over and over again, without any loss of quality...
  • In Switzerland, 91% of manufactured glass is recovered for recycling. This is currently the world's best glass recycling practice;


  • in 2001, the UK glass industry recycled 587,000 tonnes of glass saving enough energy to launch 10 space shuttle missions.
Using recycled materials for glass production saves energy and resources…
  • 1 ton of resources is saved for every ton of glass recycled;


  • making glass from recycled material requires only 40% of the energy necessary to make glass from sand;


  • recycling just 1 bottle saves enough energy to power a television set for up to 1 hour and a ˝;


  • glass produced from recycled glass instead of raw material reduces related air pollution by 20% and water by 50%.